Sunday 22 February 2015

Day 1 - Let's head to Japan!

I then started my journey to Tokyo on Friday morning 19th of September 2014 at 10:40 am departuring from Hannover airport. With me a huge suitcase, a bagpack and tons of sheets of papers with maps of Tokyo's districts I wanted to visit including every possible access from every station nearby. MAYBE that was a bit too prepared.. ^-^'


My airplane from Hannover to Istanbul

After I gave in my luggage I flew from Hannover to Istanbul within 4 hours by Turkish Airlines. Great airline. I highly recommend. Very kind and courteous. Warm meal was included and you always could choose between two offers which, no matter what, was always pretty delicious. Meal always came with entry and dessert. Moreover at the beginning of every flight turkish nougat was handed out among the passangers. SUPER DELICIOUS.

At Istanbul airport I had to change the airplane and in the meanwhile I killed time exploring the airport and eating a super expensive croissant for about 4 or 5€. 

Reaching the terminal where the airplane for Tokyo was about to depart I immediately was surrounded by Japanese who took their flight back from vacation or similiar. I was excited for the very first time because I realized what I was about to do. Leaving my country on my own for the first time, heading to a country I have never been before, is located on the other side of the world and whose language I dont even speak.

When I entered the plain I got excited again. The plain was super modern, at least what I experienced so far. Just take a look at the pictures! Every passanger had a display for himself for watching movies or playing video games!



Istanbul from above                                            My seat in the plane     

The plaine departured at 5:10 pm from Instanbul heading to Tokyo. I was about to experience a flight of about 10 hours length where I couldn't sleep more than two hours due to the noise and sitting position.

When we were supposed to sleep the staff told us to shade the windows so it became nearly fully dark. About two hours before landing the staff woke us up by some kind of "light show" :D Check out the video! It was really pretty :)



After landing when entering the Narita Airport we were welcomed by two japanese flight attendents whose only job was saying "Thank you for flying with us" and showing us the way.
Next was customs and grabbing the luggage. I exchanged my money at the airport itself right after I got my luggage. 

I used the Heiwa Kotsu Bus from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station for only 1.000 Yen (~8 Euro). 
I highly recommend it. Check out: http://accessnarita.jp/en/home/
The access wasn't displayed on the departure timetable. I guess it's because it is some kind of 'inofficial bus service' because it's so cheap. The cheapest bus services that were displayed were about 3.500 Yen each ride. So it turned out pretty useful that I had printed out the map of the Heiwa Kotsu bus stop in advance :-)

In my next post I will write about my accomodation and my first excursion to Ikebukuro.

No comments:

Post a Comment